Advertisement

The Argyle Sweater by Scott Hilburn for June 15, 2010

18 Comments

Hide All Comments
  1. Emerald
    margueritem  over 10 years ago

    Tradgedy is about to strike…..

     •  Reply
  2. P1270510
    MontanaLady  over 10 years ago

    OOOppppppssssss!!!

     •  Reply
  3. Zappa sheik
    ksoskins  over 10 years ago

    Years ago we had a problem where a computer server would inexplicably go offline at more of less the same time every evening. We put an engineer in the vicinity of the server at that time one evening and he discovered that a member of the cleaning crew would unplug the server each evening and use that receptacle to plug in a vacuum cleaner.

     •  Reply
  4. Black knight
    black_knight15_au  over 10 years ago

    Worse than that…In a hospital intensive care unit more patients died in a particular bed than any other, then they discovered each evening the cleaner unplugged the life support to clean the floors, then plugged the life support back in …

     •  Reply
  5. Missing large
    kenray2010  over 10 years ago

    oopsie doopsie!

     •  Reply
  6. Grimlock
    Colt9033  over 10 years ago

    Someone going get fired….

     •  Reply
  7. What has been seen t1
    lewisbower  over 10 years ago

    Suppose I ought to take the batteries out of the remote and put them back in the smoke alarm.

     •  Reply
  8. Erroll for ror
    celeconecca Premium Member over 10 years ago

    Oopsie!

     •  Reply
  9. 194345 1 260156 7
    Michigander  over 10 years ago

    Office cleaners need high-horsepowered rechargeable vacuums that they can recharge in their supply closets; that would save a lot of trouble.

     •  Reply
  10. Missing large
    prrdh  over 10 years ago

    Did the situation BlackKnight15 mentioned actually happen? I know it was part of the story line in one of the Alexander McCall Smith No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency stories.

     •  Reply
  11. Anim chromosomes
    chromosome Premium Member over 10 years ago

    Just checked it out on Snopes: “http://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/cleaner.asp”

    There is a true story that is just about as crazy. In a radiation machine, dosage errors occurred if techs typed in the information too quickly, because the software couldn’t handle it: “http://www.ccnr.org/fatal_dose.html”

     •  Reply
  12. Cal
    lobkiller  over 10 years ago

    corporal, really??

     •  Reply
  13. Big chief
    osceola  over 10 years ago

    This is right out of “War Games.” While World War III is about to start and Matthew Broderick is playing tic-tac-toe with the Whopper, the cleaning woman saves the world. The moral is that the meek shall inherit the earth, the first shall be last, and you can always unplug the computer.

     •  Reply
  14. Doofenshmirtz
    bobpeters61  over 10 years ago

    The best “foolproof” system they could ever make is destined to meet the fool who can beat it.

     •  Reply
  15. My eye
    vldazzle  over 10 years ago

    A bunch of really wild stories, guys- thanks! I have to get them out of my head before bedtime ;-)

     •  Reply
  16. Steve 4
    JP Steve Premium Member over 10 years ago

    “You can never make a foolproof system because fools are so creative!”

     •  Reply
  17. Bobicon
    boba44 Premium Member over 10 years ago

    Okay, for you computer geeks out there the Sheik almost got it right. It was someone polishing the floor. The investigator explained to the base commander that is was a buffer error.

     •  Reply
  18. Turkey2
    MisngNOLA  over 10 years ago

    I used to work on Hotel Computer systems including active phone switches. I got called to a site on day because the phone switch kept resetting and dumping out going calls. First thing I did was check the power and while I was watching, the input power dipped from 120 down to about 40 volts for a second or so, then came back up to 120. The switch was supposed to be on a dedicated power circuit, so the hotel’s electrician said it was the switch drawing down the power for some reason. I knew this wasn’t possible because it couldn’t draw a big enough load to do that. Lo and behold, the hotel’s chief engineer got the electrical plans out, and found that an outlet on that circuit ran to the garage area. When we traced it out, a refrigerated truck was plugged in on that outlet and every time the compressor kicked on, we got the power fail mode on the switch. The electrician disconnected the outlet and burned off the leads so no one could put an outlet there any more. It only cost the hotel 4 hours of my time which I’m sure they recovered in phone revenues by the end of the week.

     •  Reply
Sign in to comment
Advertisement

More From The Argyle Sweater

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement