Tom Toles by Tom Toles

Tom Toles

Comments (61) (Please sign in to comment)

  1. Ottodesu

    Ottodesu said, about 3 years ago

    Only in America.

  2. PianoGuy24

    PianoGuy24 GoComics PRO Member said, about 3 years ago

    Tell me Tom Troll, and you other climate change chicken littles, how are forest fires caused BY climate change when 90% of forest fires are caused by arson, and the other 10% by lightning, volcanic eruptions, etc?
    There’s just no stopping your inability to actually THINK for yourselves, is there?

  3. Ira Nayman

    Ira Nayman said, about 3 years ago

    Ah, political cartoons. Troll early, troll often…

  4. Gary McSpook

    Gary McSpook said, about 3 years ago


    Well, since you’re the self-proclaimed genius here, why don’t you tell us why the “fire season” is longer than ever, and the forest fires larger than ever.
    I’m sure you can dream up an explanation that doesn’t involve global climate change.
    Perhaps it’s the fault of gay marriage.
    Or Trayvon Martin.

  5. Anthony 2816

    Anthony 2816 said, about 3 years ago


    “how are forest fires caused BY climate change when 90% of forest fires are caused by arson, and the other 10% by lightning, volcanic eruptions, etc?”

    Gee, I dunno…maybe dry wood and grass burns more furiously than moist wood and grass? Did you consider that, PianoGuy?

    Oh, wait…I see the title of your first link says “fueled by dangerous conditions”. Did you not read your own links?

    If you read your second link, did you notice the part that says “Besides, global warming can be responsible for increasing their frequency.”? Or were you just hoping WE didn’t notice it?

  6. narrowminded

    narrowminded said, about 3 years ago

    I was taught in elementary school of fires on the westward plains and forests so immense in the 1800’s that the people on the eastern seaboards could smell the smoke. Has anyone ever heard of the dustbowl era? The reason these fires are worse than those from the early and mid twentieth century is that we have stopped taking care of the woodlands and forests by cutting in fire breaks and clearing brush because it might upset the critters that live there. The most important thing to the earth worshipers is that the mountain lions and bunny rabbits aren’t stressed out.
    Allowing lumber companies access to these forests to harvest mature trees, clear cut old growth and replant for the future would diminish the destruction caused by these inevitable fires. People driving less or putting a solar panel on their roof accomplishes nothing.
    Toles is a simpleton.

  7. motivemagus

    motivemagus said, about 3 years ago


    Um, no. If you are alluding to the practice of “controlled burns,” this is based on the natural cycle of forests, and actually increases the health of forests. This is no such thing.
    And lumber companies replace old-growth trees with short-growth trees. Also not the same thing.
    People driving less reduce CO2 emissions — enough so that it was noticeable when the recession caused people to drive less.
    People putting a solar panel on their roof reduce the price of energy to themselves, if nothing else, and if enough do it, it decreases demand, especially in high-demand months like summer, as well as reducing CO2 emissions indirectly. Germany has been very successful with this.

  8. Doughfoot

    Doughfoot said, about 3 years ago

    Actually, everybody here is right. The evidence of climate change IS incontrovertible. Forest management practices of the past HAVE contributed to fire problems today. Some of us DO care about wildlife, but not necessarily for its own sake; we care for the health of “mountain lions and bunny rabbits” the way miners used to care about the health of the canary in the mine. Climate of some sort IS natural and inevitable, but ACCELERATED climate change is a problem for all of us, and IS effecting millions of people at this moment, not only in some imagined future. There IS some hysteria about climate change that is unwarranted, but deniers are like those who urged the Titanic to make full steam ahead in spite of real danger, whereas, while panic is never useful, caution is.

    And it doesn’t matter a whit if Harley is buying what is being sold. His opinion is relevant, as is mine. The facts only are relevant, and those are what we all will have to reckon with in the end.

    And Ottodesu is right, also. America is the only place where climate change denial is big business, and widely credited. The rest of the world seems more evidence-driven, and less ideology-driven.

  9. Doughfoot

    Doughfoot said, about 3 years ago

    I misspoke when I said, “The rest of the world seems more evidence-driven, and less ideology-driven.” We at least do better than the Middle East, where ideology always seems to trump the facts.

  10. emptc12

    emptc12 said, about 3 years ago

    Our world weather patterns are in an unusual state of instability. What is known is that millenia of ice deposits are melting, that the oceans are slowly rising. Is it a coincidence that this is happening now, or a result of increasing fossil fuel use and shortsighted agricultural techniques?
    Humans can change the climate, and they have done it in localized ways. Goats and cattle can change a fragile landscape. Slash and burn agriculture causes erosion and change of environments. How will weather patterns differ when the small changes merge, when the huge Amazon forests are gone? When the north polar ice cap is melted? How would life have changed if the ozone layer had continued to deteriorate? (hint: a whole lot)
    National Geographic Magazine has an article, “Rising Seas” in its September issue. It will take hundreds of years for the physical world map to appear as depicted, and it’s probably too late already to stop most changes. But before then, the political world map will be changing, too, with environmental refugees on the move. How long will all the glittering tinsel wealth accumulated over a few centuries be last then?

  11. lafayetteann

    lafayetteann said, about 3 years ago


    Let’s all say it together, reasoning and intelligent human beings:
    “Because the timber is extra-dry.”

    (Even your link says it all: Arson FUELED BY dangerous conditions.)

  12. rich_white

    rich_white GoComics PRO Member said, about 3 years ago

    I was going to go with forest fire management practices as a major causal factor here. OK, maybe drought has something to do with it.

  13. lafayetteann

    lafayetteann said, about 3 years ago

    Cite what ‘UN report’ exactly, SuperMax.

    Guardian 10 Jan 2013 (Hickman):
    “The UK Met Office has revised one of its forecasts for how much the world may warm in the next few years. It says that the average temperature is likely to be 0.43 C above the long-term average by 2017 – as opposed to an earlier forecast that suggested a warming of 0.54C.”

  14. CasualBrowser

    CasualBrowser GoComics PRO Member said, about 3 years ago

    “Man deciding to live in such areas are victims of their own stupidity when it is evident there are fires and always will be fires.”
    Man deciding to live in which areas, Earth? Name one place that people live that fire doesn’t happen.

  15. Mr. MOR

    Mr. MOR said, about 3 years ago

    Not a UN report. It was from our own NOAA. PolitiFact did a rating of half true on the statement. Here’s the link…

  16. Load 15 more comments. | Load the rest (46).