Tom Toles by Tom Toles

Tom Toles

Comments (35) (Please sign in to comment)

  1. Jeddidyah

    Jeddidyah said, over 2 years ago

    That is the sound it makes when you thump a wooden candidate on his wooden head.

  2. braindead08

    braindead08 GoComics PRO Member said, over 2 years ago

    That’s for telling everyone we’re going to use your budget when you don’t even have one

  3. meetinthemiddle

    meetinthemiddle said, over 2 years ago

    Say what you will about the subjects, but man this is a pretty weak toon…

  4. Chillbilly

    Chillbilly said, over 2 years ago

    Paul Aynrand is the future. Mitt is the past. In other words, the guy from 1890 is being replaced by the guy from 1950. That’s what you call progress in GOP land.

  5. JudeTheObtuse

    JudeTheObtuse GoComics PRO Member said, over 2 years ago

    I like ne7minders spelling of ryan as rAyn. Very apt, and I think this cartoon is okay, maybe not the best as pointed out by meetingthemiddle, but the caricature of rAyn is spot on. I would say that if Romney can’t reestablish himself as the guiding star of the ticket in the debate Wednesday, if rAyn comes out as still the virtual leader, this election is over and we can start concentrating on Senate and House races. Eddie Munster (only creepier) is finished as a national politician.

  6. motivemagus

    motivemagus said, over 2 years ago

    Paul Ryan has claimed that his bill is the right thing to do from a Catholic perspective. This view has been contradicted by the American Bishops and by a slew of academics at Georgetown University (a Catholic university), who feel that in fact it abandons the poor and needy to their own devices — a view more in line with Ayn Rand than Jesus Christ.
    Nonpartisan analysis of Ryan’s budget reveals that it will swell our deficit massively, because while he would hack away at social services, he would still increase funding for the Pentagon, even though we are #1 in spending AND we outspend the next five countries put together, AND reduce taxes on the rich so much that increased taxes on the poor and middle class (which are also part of his budget) cannot come close to making it up. (Romney’s taxes would drop to nearly zero, by comparison.)
    Most rational analyses suggest that we either need to make major cuts across the board to manage within the current revenue, which would have a devastating effect on our economy, our innovation, our education, and our military, or we need to increase revenue. Since we have the lowest taxes on the wealthy in decades, the commonest suggestion is to incrementally raise taxes on the wealthy and close specific loopholes. Ryan would cut taxes on the wealthy and has named no loopholes he would cut.
    When challenged on his budget and these facts on a talk show, Ryan refused to explain any of it, which has caused a few conservatives to question his real “wonkiness.” He (and Romney) claim that they will make up some of the difference through closing loopholes on taxes for the rich, but they have not named ONE SINGLE LOOPHOLE they would close, though they have been asked many, many times. As someone who makes well into six figures himself, I am very willing to increase my taxes to support this nation and keep us competitive in an increasingly challenging world; that is only patriotism to me.
    I am highly tolerant of reasoned views with evidence even if I disagree with them; I have voted for Republicans in the past. But until Ryan puts forth some realistic evidence that he can make his budget really work, this is merely fictional — and this budget appears to be the main reason for nominating him and electing him.

  7. Rx71Wm29

    Rx71Wm29 GoComics PRO Member said, over 2 years ago

    Actually, Romney/Ryan DO have a budget! It consists of two items: “NO”!

  8. lafayetteann

    lafayetteann said, over 2 years ago

    Good reasoning motivemagus. Still waiting for the conservative reasoning for why the Ryan plan is effective at either reducing the deficit or restoring prosperity to the middle class… still waiting…

  9. midas welby

    midas welby said, over 2 years ago

    @motivemagus

    Thank you for posting the obvious!

  10. saywhatwhat

    saywhatwhat said, over 2 years ago

    You don’t have to be a Christian to see that John Gault is the Anti-Christ.

  11. Rickapolis

    Rickapolis said, over 2 years ago

    By the way, I’m not sure if I heard this correctly, but it seems that the conservative controlled media is deliberately skewing poll data to make the presidential race seem closer than it is so republicans won’t be too discouraged to go out and vote on election day. The real numbers show Obama up eight to ten points and they say it’s only four. Would they really do something like that?

  12. Fourcrows

    Fourcrows said, over 2 years ago

    @motivemagus

    The republicans are only concerned about the deficit when not in the Presidency. Reagan increased the federal deficit by 189%, GW Bush by 88%, and Obama by a whopping 35%. (numbers from the dept. of the Treasury)
    You’re right. If Romney wins, the deficit will continue to grow unless taxes can be increased somewhere. Making more budget cuts will only hurt the poor and middle class.
    An interesting study has shown that the economy has historically improved when the tax rates on the top earners was higher. A psychological reason was that with the extra income, it was squirreled away rather than sent back into the economy. All the tax cuts did was increase the wage gap. I’m betting on Obama just because I think a second term will mean no campaigning and the tax cuts can be removed without consequence. I see a Romney victory as being more detrimental to my own interests (I don’t have that sixth figure in my income yet!)

  13. JudeTheObtuse

    JudeTheObtuse GoComics PRO Member said, over 2 years ago

    @Rickapolis

    The way I understand it is that the REAL polls (fivethirtyeight primarily) show Obama with a solid 4 point lead, and an 85.1% chance of winning the election, and Romney with a 14.9% chance. These are real numbers and are very depressing to Republicans. They are trying to buck up their spirits by claiming that the polls are all biased to the left and that Romney is dead even, despite the fact that he’s bobbled every pass that’s come his way; however, even Fox polls, the most right wing based of them all, has Obama in the lead. It’s almost over!

  14. Justice22

    Justice22 said, over 2 years ago

    The Romney budget is locked up with his tax returns.

  15. JudeTheObtuse

    JudeTheObtuse GoComics PRO Member said, over 2 years ago

    @phritzg
    Even creepier than Eddie if that’s possible! That guy gives me the willies!

  16. Load the rest of the comments (20).