The Other Coast by Adrian Raeside

The Other Coast

Comments (21) (Please sign in to comment)

  1. tr.phipps

    tr.phipps said, about 4 years ago

    the difference between a contractor and an enviromentalist is that the enviromentalist already has his house in the mountains.

  2. PICTO

    PICTO said, about 4 years ago

    So did the contractor cut down the forest so we could see the trees?

  3. treesareus

    treesareus said, about 4 years ago

    The tree was cut into lumber to build the house. The timber industry that cut the forest down planted 10 trees for every one they cut. Thirty years later they do it all over again on the same land…because trees grow in spite of environmentalists attempts to convince you otherwise.

  4. cdward

    cdward said, about 4 years ago


    I suppose that means there should be more forest land in the world today than there was, say 50 years ago?

  5. Dani Rice

    Dani Rice GoComics PRO Member said, about 4 years ago


    Well, that would work if we all stopped breeding like bunnies.

  6. PoodleGroomer

    PoodleGroomer said, about 4 years ago

    Would the environmentally concerned people point out the trees that they have planted.

  7. agentadq

    agentadq said, about 4 years ago

    Can’t see the forest for the trees…

  8. route66paul

    route66paul said, about 4 years ago

    New trees are planted, but the lumber industry wants the old growth trees. The new growth is good for pulp and small dimensional lumber. The good stuff is heart wood and can be used as beams. Much of the wood salvaged from old churches and other large buildings is of a size that can’t be milled, since all the big trees have been taken in that area.

  9. SCAATY_423

    SCAATY_423 said, about 4 years ago

    That seems improbable, but the data should be interesting. “Land with trees on it” is not the same thing as “Still stands the forest primeval.”

  10. Night-Gaunt49

    Night-Gaunt49 GoComics PRO Member said, about 4 years ago


    The new trees planted sometimes aren’t even indigenous to the forest. And not all those trees will survive. If there was one tree there then that is all that could survive. Also the tree farms that all those forests have become are in neat little rows and they don’t like undergrowth or animals living there so they aren’t replacing the forests the way it was before. They cut down 90% but they won’t live the other 10% alone. They want 100% harvested. They also replace with GMO faster growing trees too. We have no idea what such gene spliced trees will do to the environment either.

  11. wildcatherder

    wildcatherder said, about 4 years ago

    Somehow the pro-Lumber people want you to believe that all of those ten-trees-planted-for-one-cut-down reach maturity. They also neglect that it can take decades for those that survive to reach maturity and that existing trees are still being cut faster than can be replaced. Also, Night-Gaunt is so right that replacing the trees doesn’t rebuild the ecology.

  12. flyintheweb

    flyintheweb said, about 4 years ago

    I think it is more trees than 1900 – back then, we cut down trees not for their wood, but for farmland. Farms are more efficient now, so they get more food out of less land. So some farms are sold off for building lots, and people put trees in their backyards

  13. hippogriff

    hippogriff said, about 4 years ago

    “Plant a tree, write a book, have a son.” Arab proverb. [Tree for the environment, book to share your ideas with the future, and son to carry on the family name] I have written several books, had a son and a daughter, and have planted a couple thousand trees versus cut down maybe ten which didn’t survive old age or drought and cut up enough naturally shed limbs to heat a bookstore instead of using gas.

  14. Ly Taylor

    Ly Taylor said, about 4 years ago

    When are we gonna admit that environmental problems are caused by OVER-POPULATION?

  15. johnmanjb

    johnmanjb said, about 4 years ago

    Okay, I’m back. Had to go throw up after reading these tree hugger posts. My question: How many of you huggers live in the wilderness, curled up in a pile of leaves, and how many of you live in a house built from limber?

  16. Load the rest of the comments (6).