Stuart Carlson by Stuart Carlson

Stuart Carlson

Comments (9) (Please sign in to comment)

  1. superposition

    superposition said, 1 day ago

    They cannot run independently because there can be ony two viable parties in the US because .. they’ve done the country so much good?

  2. kurtzwicky

    kurtzwicky said, 1 day ago

    Maybe we should call them the sensible ones…

  3. Night-Gaunt49

    Night-Gaunt49 GoComics PRO Member said, 1 day ago

    Took them way too long to drop out. They tried to milk the publicity for all its worth.

  4. Crow Nobo, fol de rol de riddle

    Crow Nobo, fol de rol de riddle said, 1 day ago

    The Winners!

  5. saywhatwhat

    saywhatwhat said, 1 day ago

    @superposition

    Unfortunately there is a logical reason “independents” (with rare exceptions for local “favorite sons”) never win. The Founding Fathers wanted to avoid having political parties. They thought they could manage it too, by having local elections for representative who would get together in the new Federal Capital (I don’t think they had decided where that would be yet) and then agree on who were the best qualified among them to be the leaders. They didn’t foresee national popularity contest for President. The Constitution didn’t even prescribe state wide elections for U. S. Senators – they were to be selected by the State Senates. With all that in mind, it seemed logical that all elections required only the most votes to win and not an absolute majority. It was that decision that makes “independents” or “third parties” less than useless in most cases. As long as each office holder only has to have the most votes to win, any third party will only hurt the party with policies and ideas closest to theirs.

  6. 1941gko

    1941gko said, 1 day ago

    @Night-Gaunt49

    Collect Contributions is more to the point – Beats Working!

  7. 1941gko

    1941gko said, 1 day ago

    @saywhatwhat

    So in Summation – The Founding Fathers Were NOT All Knowing and Wise; and Strict Constructionists are Wrong obsessing with following the Constitution to the Letter?

  8. StCleve72

    StCleve72 said, about 21 hours ago

    @1941gko

    Well, there have been t hose amendments. The FF had a vision that was centuries away from becoming reality but they laid down the framework for the vision to become reality. It’s still less than 100 years since women got the right to vote which is a move in the direction of, ironically, “all men are created equal.”

  9. superposition

    superposition said, about 16 hours ago

    @saywhatwhat

    “As long as each office holder only has to have the most votes to win, any third party will only hurt the party with policies and ideas closest to theirs.”

    As our election results approach 49.999% to 50.001%, it’s easy to see how bad the first past the post is, especially when the “checks and balances” have become checks from lobbyists and balancing the 70% chance of corporate needs being legislated against the 30% chance of the voter’s legislation getting done.

  10. Refresh Comments.