• Guaranteeing healthcare as a right of citizenship by enacting a Medicare for all single-payer healthcare system. It’s time for the U.S. to join every major industrialized country on earth and provide universal healthcare to all.
• Requiring employers to provide at least two weeks of paid vacation and 7 days of paid sick days.
• Enacting a universal childcare and prekindergarten program. Every psychologist understands that the most formative years for a human being is from the ages 0-3.
• Immediately reversing inhumane treatment of asylum seekers and immigrants, separating children from their parents and putting them in cages.
• Climate change is the single greatest threat facing our planet. The debate is over, and the scientific jury is in: global climate change is real, it is caused mainly by emissions released from burning fossil fuels and it poses a catastrophic threat. The good news is that our society is already moving in the right direction. Solar panels cost 80 percent less than they did in 2008, and they are already an economically viable alternative to fossil fuels.
• Insisting that large corporations and the wealthy pay their fair share in taxes.
• Fighting for pay equity by signing the Paycheck Fairness Act into law. It is an outrage that women earn just 78 cents for every dollar a man earns.
• Rescuing Social Security by lifting the cap on taxable income above $250,000.
• Increasing the federal minimum wage from $7.25 to $15 an hour. No one who works 40 hours a week should be living in poverty.
• Breaking up huge financial institutions so that they are no longer too big to fail.
• The Employee Free Choice Act to reverse the 40-year decline in the middle class.
May 31, 2016
May 24, 2016