The budget proposes to reduce IHS spending by more than $300 million.
• IHS funding was cut by $800 million In 2013.
• The yearly IHS per patient average is $2,900.
• The U.S. general population yearly per patient average is $7,600.
• Medicaid per patient average is $6,300 nationally
• Medicare per patient average is $11,700 nationally.
• 15% of IHS facilities do not have continuous physician coverage.
• A median average of 86% of IHS physicians are not board certified in emergency medicine.
• 53% of IHS emergency departments operate at or over capacity.
• Life expectancy for the general population of the United States is 78 years.
• Life expectancy for Native Americans is 74 years.
November 20, 2017