Advertisement

Clay Bennett for August 13, 2010

  1. Bluejay
    Bluejayz  over 11 years ago

    If the top 2000 CEOs gave up $5M a piece (consider all of the $10M to $100M bonuses being paid out.), they could fund 250,000 jobs at $40,000 / year.

    You have to ask yourself, how many millions is enough?

     •  Reply
  2. Avatar201803 salty
    Jaedabee Premium Member over 11 years ago

    Socialism for the rich is the only acceptable form of socialism. We’ve been doing it for years, why not keep going until 90% of the population only owns 1% of the wealth. Capitalism at work. *

    CEOs went from making:

    50x their average worker to 500x their average worker.

    Trickle down obviously works. *

     •  Reply
  3. Missing large
    disgustedtaxpayer  over 11 years ago

    bluejay…if the IRS was authorized by congress and the prez, it could send agency BANDITS with guns and vans to raid selected taxpayer homes and offices, and CONFISCATE assets to be used as Obama sez!

    Robin Hood “governing”….”redistributing wealth, ALA Karl Marx”…!

    (I hope bluejay would be on the IRS list)

     •  Reply
  4. Birthcontrol
    Dtroutma  over 11 years ago

    The Sheriff of Nottingham took from the poor and gave to the rich, just like Reagan and his friends. Whining about a raise from 35% to 39% maximum,which they really won’t pay anyway, is fraud perpetrated on all. Interesting that credit card rates on those middle income and low income folks that got cards are far higher than the maximum tax rate????

     •  Reply
  5. Exploding human fat bombs hedge 060110
    Charles Brobst Premium Member over 11 years ago

    The Republicans have been destroying the middle class since Reagan. By now it’s almost complete.

     •  Reply
  6. Birthcontrol
    Dtroutma  over 11 years ago

    Tigger- corporations are showing RECORD PROFITS, and you say “no one” is prospering????????? Granted, some of that is a continuance of the Bush rip-us-other-dudes-off concept, but sheessshhhh!

     •  Reply
  7. Canstock3682698
    myming  over 11 years ago

    DTROUTMA -

    where’s robin hood ?

     •  Reply
  8. Warcriminal
    WarBush  over 11 years ago

    ^He got deported to England.

     •  Reply
  9. Bluejay
    Bluejayz  over 11 years ago

    Hey, Disgusting, you and ANandy always jump to nonsense rants about socialism and Obama.

    I never said anything about Obama or the IRS. I was talking about the moral impetus for overpaid CEOs to ensure their employees are fairly paid. I meant that if the highest paid corporate grifters would personally give up a few extra millions, they could fund thousands of jobs in their companies and help out the ailing economy. But with your reactionary blinders on, all you saw was a socialistic redistribution of wealth.

    That’s why you never come back with any useful ideas to further the discussion.

     •  Reply
  10. Missing large
    comsymp  over 11 years ago

    I first looked at this cartoon and thought it was good… VERY good. It’s a great statement on the general disparity in the ‘prosperity’ generated from our current ‘economic recovery’.

    When I looked at the cartoon closer, however, I thought it was brilliant! Studying the drawing, I realized that this image above is a perfect reflection of the disparity of wealth that has persisted for years in this country.

    Although there are slight fluctuations in the data from year to year, studies on the concentration of personal wealth in the U.S. has always hovered around the same general percentages. That is, that 20% of the American population controls roughly 80% of the our nation’s personal wealth, while the other 80% of the population shares the remaining 20%.

    You can break down the statistics in many different ways, like the richest 5% of Americans controlling half the national wealth, or the poorest 50% of our people controlling a paltry 2.5% of the economic pie, but this cartoon reminded me specifically of the 80/20 split.

    In this cartoon, the word ‘prosperity’ has ten letters. Eight of those ten letters are held by two men. The two remaining letters in the word ‘prosperity’ are being held by, you guessed it, eight people. So there it is, the 80/20 split in wealth. Twenty percent of the people in the above cartoon control 80% of ‘prosperity’, while 80% of the people pictured possess the remaining 20%.

    Now, I don’t know if this was Clay’s intention, but the statistical breakdown just seems too exacting to be mere coincidence. Therefore, I’m assuming that it was his intent and a methodical effort to communicate on many different levels.

    And if that’s the case, then Clay Bennett is even a better cartoonist than most of us ever realized.

     •  Reply
  11. Missing large
    Fearhater  over 11 years ago

    I grew-up with a friend who for as long as i have known him saved his money and worked multi jobs,paper routes, moving grass, shoveling snow,etc. i always admired his unrelenting attempt to succeed. he came from a lower income family and due to his own work ethic and his own ideas managed to create a company and build it up. he now has around 150 employees now he makes about 12mil a year while his employees make between 30 to 50k. now the question. Why does he not have the right to make 12mil a year even though it was his ideas, his hard work, his money that created the company?

    Companies have to right to pay their CEO’s what ever they wish just as they have the right to pay their employees what ever they wish. it is up to CEO or Employee to decide if the salary is worth it

     •  Reply
  12. 300px little nemo 1906 02 11 last panel
    lonecat  over 11 years ago

    As I’ve said before, it doesn’t bother me if some people are rich, but it does bother me that a lot of people are poor. I am not seeking equality of means, but I would like to see everyone have enough for a decent life. And not just in the US. Personally, I think anyone who is willing to put in an honest day’s work should be adequately rewarded.

    It is interesting, however, to think about how we decide who deserves to get a lot of money and who doesn’t. Sometimes it seems pretty arbitrary to me.

     •  Reply
Sign in to comment
Advertisement

More From Clay Bennett

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement