Member since November 25, 2011
This user has no shared collections.
View More Collections
Why don't you go browse some
and pick a few to favorite?
commented on Tom Toles
over 4 years ago
Gresch, this shouldn’t be this difficult. We are assured by many, including you, that “traditional” marriage means only one man married to one woman. I have shown you that there are many other historical definitions of marriage. Adding “gay marriage” to the list would make millions of people happy, and have no ill effects on anyone else (except those that hate gays and want to hurt them).
Going off on tangents to avoid having to answer pointed questions seems to be a bit of a modus operandi for Gresch.
There are enough pre-existing definitions of marriage in history (and in the bible) that one more won’t matter. And since adding “gay marriage” would make millions of people happy, and have no ill effects on everyone else (except those that hate gays and want to hurt them), then I see no reason to not allow it.“Hate” may not be a big feature of Christianity, but it is certainly a feature of many Christians…so my use of the phrase “gay-hating christians” stands.
Well, since you don’t seem to want to address any of the points I brought up, I’ll bite: To what oxymorons do you refer?
(“You” in that last sentence is a generalized “you”, and not referring to you in particular, Gresch.)
Gresch, you still seem to be going out of your way to avoid my original point, which was what all the gay-hating christians call “traditional marriage”, based on what they think is in their bible, is not as exclusively supported as they think.There’s only one honest reason to be against gay marriage, and that’s because you don’t like gays, and want to hurt them.
Gresch, when you say “any member of a group”, the word “member” is still singular…so you are indeed talking about one man and one woman.And you are still having troubles reading what I write: You say “All of your examples have a man marrying a women (sic)”, whereas in reality I specifically gave the example of “King David, “the man after God’s own heart,” had at least eight wives. His wise son Solomon kept a harem with 700 wives and 300 concubines.”
“Do not bother with one man with multiple women… I did not say One man + one women.”Uh, yeah, you did. You said “Marriage is between a man and a woman …” and I’m pretty certain that “a” is a singular pronoun.Thus, you’ll have to deal with biblical marriages like "King David, “the man after God’s own heart,” had at least eight wives. His wise son Solomon kept a harem with 700 wives and 300 concubines."
Read more: Quillen: Varied states of marriage – The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/quillen/ci_19932197#ixzz1uflNVRLE
More from http://www.godweb.org/biblemarriage.htm:
1. Marriage in the United States shall consist of a union between one man and one or more women. (Gen 29:17-28; II Sam 3:2-5)
2. Marriage shall not impede a man’s right to take concubines, in addition to his wife or wives. (II Sam 5:13; I Kings 11:3; II Chron 11:21)
3. A marriage shall be considered valid only if the wife is a virgin. If the wife is not a virgin, she shall be executed. (Deut 22:13-21)
4. Marriage of a believer and a non-believer shall be forbidden. (Gen 24:3; Num 25:1-9; Ezra 9:12; Neh 10:30)
5. Since marriage is for life, neither this Constitution nor the constitution of any State, nor any state or federal law, shall be construed to permit divorce. (Deut 22:19; Mark 10:9)
6. If a married man dies without children, his brother shall marry the widow. If he refuses to marry his brother’s widow or deliberately does not give her children, he shall pay a fine of one shoe, and be otherwise punished in a manner to be determined by law. (Gen. 38:6-10; Deut 25:5-10)
7. In lieu of marriage, if there are no acceptable men in your town, it is required that you get your dad drunk and have sex with him (even if he had previously offered you up as a sex toy to men young and old), tag-teaming with any sisters you may have. Of course, this rule applies only if you are female. (Gen 19:31-36)
“Marriage is between a man and a woman …”Not according to your bible, Gresch. Ever read it? It has far more variety than that.
Copyright © 2016. Universal Uclick, All rights reserved.