Fred Basset by Alex Graham

Fred Basset

Comments (14) (Please sign in to comment)

  1. aciem88

    aciem88 said, over 2 years ago

  2. boff

    boff said, over 2 years ago

    Chocolate for Fred-really??

  3. Tom

    Tom said, over 2 years ago

    I heard chocolate was toxic to dogs.

  4. Katiekicks

    Katiekicks said, over 2 years ago

    @ boff and Tom
    You don’t read this strip much do you? Choc drops are a type of dog treat in the UK (and they’re not chocolate). If you don’t believe me, look it up.

  5. Chris Kenworthy

    Chris Kenworthy said, over 2 years ago

    Hmm… why’s Fred taking such a tough line? Has mister been promising choc drops and not delivering on them? Bad man!

  6. Macushlalondra

    Macushlalondra said, over 2 years ago

    I think he hopes to get two choc-drops, one now and one after he brings the slippers.

  7. Burnside217

    Burnside217 said, over 2 years ago

    He’s been reading too much Buckles.

  8. pekenpug

    pekenpug said, over 2 years ago

    How about one Choc-drop after each slipper?

  9. lightenup

    lightenup GoComics PRO Member said, over 2 years ago

    Considering the amount of sausages that you get, Fred, I think you owe him rather than vice versa!

  10. L Nelson

    L Nelson said, over 2 years ago

    “I am new to this strip, so forgive me if you have already dealt with this subject, but…”

    Now that is out of the way, how about a “recommendation” of my own? Let questions you’ve seen before slide, no rude responses necessary.

    If a question has been asked before, you don’t have to answer it! Let someone with more patience do it.

    I am not new to Fred Basset, but I didn’t know he was still around! I read him decades ago, but then he left our papers, and I only rediscovered him yesterday!

    Oh, just so no one reading your post remains in “uninformed ignorance,” since I don’t want their dogs becoming ill or dying, chocolate IS toxic to dogs! It is one of the most common causes of poisoning for dogs. No amount is safe. If your dog gets into milk chocolate, it is less dangerous. I know, my dog ate a bag of Kisses once!

  11. Tom

    Tom said, over 2 years ago


    I’ll take your word for it.

  12. Nun'Ya Bidness

    Nun'Ya Bidness said, over 2 years ago

    @L Nelson

    … I know, my dog ate a bag of Kisses once!

    I hope the worst your dog had happen was that he had a sore tum-tum and his poopy had a bunch of silver bits.

    Why is chocolate fatal to dogs who eat too much of it?
    answer: people have a “switch” in their brains and when they have enough chocolate, they will not want anymore. When people eat too much chocolate, they get sick, too. It can be just as toxic to people as dogs if you override your “I’ve had enough” switch.

    Dogs do not have this “switch” and will not stop.

  13. AmyGrantfan51774

    AmyGrantfan51774 said, over 2 years ago

    hope the guy will give Fred the choc drops before Fred gives him his slippers

  14. L Nelson

    L Nelson said, over 2 years ago

    @Nun'Ya Bidness

    Dogs metabolize the theobromine in chocolate much more slowly than humans. The more theobromine the more toxic, so baker’s chocolate is more toxic than white chocolate. WebMD says that it might only take 2 oz. of baking chocolate to kill a 22 lb. dog.

    Yes, my dog poops foil! She was a lab mix, so by weight she was safe. I did call the vet and ask.

  15. Refresh Comments.