How can I say this kindly. People up north must be some sort of wimp when it comes to poison ivy. Here in the south it is a common malady . I have even contracted it in the middle of winter from clearing brush and leaves. (The plants may have lost their leaves, but the stems and roots still contain the rash causing sap.) Down here it is a known risk for all who enjoy the outdoors and have not learned how to identify the plant at a distance. The common treatment for poison ivy in this area is benedryl to relieve the itching and topical hydrocortisone assist in the healing of the affected skin areas. That plus the will power not to scratch the rash and causing it to become infected. On a side note, the poison ivy oil can accumulate on clothing and affect someone handling the clothing later. Also, the rash does not break out immediately but sometimes days apart, thus giving the impression that one can spread it by scratching. It is not contagious. You have to come into actual contact with the ivy oil ot be affected.
Corey Pandolph and Phil Frank and Joe Troise